Shell's Toxic Dump Uncovered in Ogoni Community
A toxic dump site belonging to the Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited has been uncovered in K-Dere community of Ogoniland.
Speaking in Bori, headquarters of Khana local government area of Rivers State over the weekend, Publicity Secretary of MOSOP, Fegalo Nsuke said samples from the site had been tested in a U.K laboratory and the results have confirmed the toxicity of the site.
Shell had buried the wastes in the Ogoni community for years.but intense heat forced the buried substance to become exposed late last year prompting community investigation.
"Shell is a killer" spokesman for MOSOP Fegalo Nsuke remarked during the visit to the site in K-Dere. Nsuke said Shell will be made to pay for her crimes in Ogoniland.
The MOSOP image maker said Shell clearly destroyed Ogoniland intentionally. He noted that Shell never imagined that local people will someday rise to protect their future against a wicked and conscienceless multi-national and the racist practice it has enshrined it its operations in Ogoniland.
Latest from Editor
- Anglo-Dutch Shell Accused of Neglect After Taking $81 Billion Worth of Oil - Enterprise Television Report
- On Ogoni, We Shall Not Stop Until We Sing a New Song by Fegalo Nsuke
- UN chides Nigerian Government over delay in Ogoni clean-up
- Court convicts First Bank chairman, MD over N122bn Ogoni compensation
- MOSOP Call for Greater Commitment to Human Rights on the Part of the Nigerian Government