Shell's Toxic Dump Uncovered in Ogoni Community
A toxic dump site belonging to the Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited has been uncovered in K-Dere community of Ogoniland.
Speaking in Bori, headquarters of Khana local government area of Rivers State over the weekend, Publicity Secretary of MOSOP, Fegalo Nsuke said samples from the site had been tested in a U.K laboratory and the results have confirmed the toxicity of the site.
Shell had buried the wastes in the Ogoni community for years.but intense heat forced the buried substance to become exposed late last year prompting community investigation.
"Shell is a killer" spokesman for MOSOP Fegalo Nsuke remarked during the visit to the site in K-Dere. Nsuke said Shell will be made to pay for her crimes in Ogoniland.
The MOSOP image maker said Shell clearly destroyed Ogoniland intentionally. He noted that Shell never imagined that local people will someday rise to protect their future against a wicked and conscienceless multi-national and the racist practice it has enshrined it its operations in Ogoniland.
Latest from Editor
- MOSOP Call for Global Intervention Over Alarming Death Rate in Ogoniland
- Ogoni Group Says Gani Topba Made First Attempt to Kill Saro-Wiwa in 1994
- PRESS RELEASE: MOSOP FAULTS ALLEGED PLAN TO BUILD PRISON AND CEMETERY IN OGONILAND
- Full Text of Press Statement by the President of MOSOP on March 2, 2018
- Ogoni Clean-up to Commence in 2nd Quarter of 2018